Dark Mode
More forecasts: Johannesburg 14 days weather
  • Friday, 29 August 2025
Boeing Defense Workers Go on Strike After Rejecting Contract Offer

Boeing Defense Workers Go on Strike After Rejecting Contract Offer

More than 3,200 Boeing workers in St. Louis and Illinois began striking at midnight on Monday after turning down the company’s second contract offer, which included a 20% general wage increase, higher retirement contributions, and a $5,000 signing bonus. The offer was largely unchanged from one already rejected the week before, and union leaders say it fell short of reflecting the workers’ value. “This is about respect and dignity, not empty promises,” the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) posted on X.

 

Boeing said it’s disappointed the offer was rejected and has activated its contingency plan to keep operations going with non-union labor. The workers on strike build key military aircraft like the F-15 and T-7, as well as the MQ-25 drone. While the defense division makes up nearly a third of Boeing’s revenue, CEO Kelly Ortberg told analysts not to panic: “I wouldn't worry too much about the implications of the strike. We'll manage our way through that.”

 

The walkout is Boeing Defense’s first since 1996 and adds pressure to a company already battling delays, safety issues, and a major strike last year by commercial jet builders. Union head Tom Boelling said, “IAM District 837 members have spoken loud and clear - they deserve a contract that reflects their skill, dedication, and the critical role they play in our nation’s defense.”

Comment / Reply From