Trump Gives Iran 10-Day Deadline as Military Tensions Rise
- Post By Emmie
- February 20, 2026
US President Donald Trump says the world will soon know whether Washington reaches a deal with Iran or takes military action.
Speaking in Washington at the first meeting of his newly formed Board of Peace, Trump said negotiations over Iran’s nuclear programme are at a critical point. “We have to make a meaningful deal otherwise bad things happen,” he said.
Later, he told reporters the timeline was short. “Maybe we’re going to make a deal. You’re going to be finding out over the next probably 10 days.” When asked to clarify aboard Air Force One, he added: “I would think that would be enough time, 10, 15 days, pretty much, maximum.”
Iran’s envoy to the United Nations has warned that Tehran will respond forcefully to any US attack. In a letter to UN Secretary-General António Guterres, Iran said it does not want war but would treat US assets in the region as fair targets if conflict breaks out.
The letter stressed that Iran “neither seeks tension nor war and will not initiate any war”. However, it added that if attacked, it would consider “all bases, facilities, and assets of the hostile force” in the region as “legitimate targets”.
Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei also issued a warning on social media. “The Americans constantly say that they’ve sent a warship toward Iran. Of course, a warship is a dangerous piece of military hardware,” he wrote. “However, more dangerous than that warship is the weapon that can send that warship to the bottom of the sea.”
Despite reporting “good progress in the negotiations” during recent indirect talks in Geneva, the US has increased its military presence in the Gulf, deploying additional aircraft carriers and fighter jets. Trump said his envoys, Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, have had “very good meetings” with Iranian officials. Still, he has kept the threat of force on the table.
Last year, US missile and aircraft strikes hit three Iranian nuclear sites. The White House is now said to be reviewing further military options.
Meanwhile, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer has reportedly refused a US request to use key UK bases for any potential strike on Iran, citing legal concerns. According to multiple UK media outlets, London has denied access to RAF Fairford in England and the joint US-UK facility at Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean.
Trump criticised the move online, saying Starmer was “making a big mistake”. The British government has not publicly detailed its reasoning, but reports suggest concerns about breaching international law if the bases were used in a pre-emptive attack.
Back in Washington, some lawmakers from both parties are pushing back against the idea of military action without congressional approval. Democratic Representative Ro Khanna warned online: “A war with Iran would be catastrophic,” noting the risks to US troops in the region. Kentucky Republican Thomas Massie has joined efforts to force a vote under the 1973 War Powers Act, which allows Congress to limit a president’s authority to engage in armed conflict.
For now, talks continue, but with US forces building up in the region and Iran promising retaliation, the next 10 days could prove to be decisive.